Monday, May 21, 2007

Coen Brothers Movies

It seems as if the music topics aren't getting much traffic, so let's get back on track with another list about films. Some of the wittiest, sadistic, creative, and well-written movies of the past twenty years have been made by the Coen Brothers. Although their past few films haven't been up to par with their previous work, they remain some of my favorite filmmakers of all time.

My list:

1.Fargo-A friend once told me that in Eastern Europe cinema classes Fargo is regarded as the perfect film. It would be hard for me to disagree.

2.The Big Lebowski- The Dude: Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
The Dude: Walter, this isn't a guy who built the fucking railroads here.

3.Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?-From music to cinematography to set design to acting, a beautiful and funny movie on every level.

4.Barton Fink-I love it when artists create art about the creation of their art. Brilliant movie.

5.The Man Who Wasn't There-One of their oddest films, a dark and melancholy noir about a guy trying to start a dry cleaning business.

What's your Top Five?

17 comments:

Unknown said...

After looking on imdb, it turns out I haven't seen 5 Coen Brother's movies. I'll rank the ones I've seen:

1. The Big Lebowski - The rug really did tie the room together.

2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? - I'm a Daper Dan Man!


ta-da! A Mulder

KHM said...

The Coen Brothers are some sick boys and we've got nothing but love for them... they always make think I must be some kind of freak to enjoy their work... but dude, you missed it completely:

1. Raising Arizona--COME ON! Holly Hunter and Nicholas Cage steal a kid? If you haven't seen it I shall hijack you for a couple of hours in Indy and watch it with you.
2. Fargo...yaaahhh...Francis McDermott just nailed this part. The Coen brothers owe her a lot for the success of this movie.
3. The Big Lebowski---Goodman and Bridges, sure; but Buscemi? Philip Seymour Hoffman? Outstanding---very funny movie.
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou? -- Perhaps my favorite role for Clooney except for a few scenes in The Perfect Storm where he makes me want to leave home, boy... great movie; a real departure for them and they nailed it.
5. The Hudsucker Proxy---if ever an actor was fit-perfect for a team of writers/directors, its Robbins. Great film; loved it.

OK, I know you said no honorable mentions--but I really loved Romance and Cigarettes; don't know if it counts; they have only(!) production credits on this one. Directed by our favorite pizza delivery man, John Turturro. Should we talk about Spike next?

I'm disappointed about the music responses. I loved that last topic. This one is great, too!

Anonymous said...

I liked the 3 I have seen........

Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou and Raising Arizona..........

Milo's greatest Aunt Carol

Indiana Fan said...

1. Millers Crossing
2. Raising Arizona
3. The Big Lebowski
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou
5. Hudsucker Proxy

I could go on & on about my favorite filmmakers, but basically when they put their minds to it, they come away with aesthetic perfection.

KHM said...

Carol Jean, I'd have never imagined you would like Fargo. Rock on!
Kathy Jean (named for you, of course)

kbmulder said...

I would comment if I could, but I can't. Haven't seen any of these movies. I tried to watch Lebowski once and didn't make it through. Sorry to be a dissapointment, but bring on the music top fives and I am there!!!

Special K said...

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Raising Arizona (Lyman, I can't believe this isn't even in your top five. That is very undude, dude.)
3. Oh Brother, Where art Thou?
4. Fargo
5. Hudsucker Proxy

KHM said...

Exactly. Undude.

Lyman said...

I love Raising Arizona, it's just not in my top five. I remember seeing it with my mom in the theater even. They've set the bar really high for themselves.

And Kathy I'm ashamed! Rent Oh Brother or Fargo right now!

kbmulder said...

Sir, yes, sir!

Anonymous said...

You go out and get me a toddler! I'm like Aunt Carol I've only seen the 3 she has, but I loved them.

Mom

Special K said...

Donchu come back without a toddler!

KHM said...

Raising Arizona might be the funniest movie ever. Hey Lyman! Top Five it!

Carrie said...

1. Raising Arizona - "Son you've got a panty on your head."

2. O Brother - I love this soundtrack!

3. Frago - Frances totally deserved her Oscar.

I've seen some others, but I don't care for them enough to rank them.

Special K said...

Yes, a good T5 might be Fave Lines from Raising Arizona.

Anonymous said...

How about top 5 lines from all coen brothers movies?

1) "Son, you got a panty on your head."

2) "Well, no. Unless round is funny."

3) "He's gotta have his dip-tet. Else he'll get lockjaw and night-vision."

4) "...It's a league game, Smokey."

5) "Damn! We're in a tight spot! "

Anonymous said...

Say that reminds me...