Monday, May 28, 2007

Star Wars Characters

I don't know if you've noticed but this is the 30-year anniversary of Star Wars. There was a huge convention at the LA Convention Center over the weekend and I in my infinite geekiness would've gone if I hadn't been so disappointed by the last two movies.

But no matter how bad Episodes 1-3 were, Star Wars is still a landmark in pop culture and played a huge part of my childhood. Everybody's seen the movies. So who are your favorite Star Wars characters?

My list:

1. Han Solo-I wonder how many fights there have been between kids over the years over who gets to be Han while playing Star Wars.

2. Darth Vader-The greatest villain ever. Too bad he had that goofball moment in Episode 3 where he "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" like a little schoolgirl.

3. Yoda-Sure the puppet Yoda was cooler than the digital one, but you have to admit that light sabre fight with Count Doku in Episode 2 was pretty badass.

4. Lando Calrissian-Sure he turned on Han in Empire, but the Star Wars movies are all about redemption and Lando redeemed himself in Jedi going undercover to rescue Han and becoming an Admiral for the Rebellion.

5. Darth Maul-One badass sith! I'm glad he was killed off before he get over-exploited and watered-down by Lucas.

What's your Top Five?

13 comments:

KHM said...

Never. Seen. Any. Of. Them. !!!! All I know about it I learned from watching you play with JP or better, playing both sides of lightsaber battles by yourself. Who needs the movie????

Drew said...

In no particular order:

1. Jar Jar Binks - JUST KIDDING! What a crappy character...

1. Yoda
2. Leia
3. Chewbacca
4. Hans Solo
5. Obi-Wan

Carrie said...

1. Princess Leia- of course! I remember these three boys whom my brother, sister and I played with as kids had all the Star Wars toys. They even had 2 Leia dolls (I guess you boys call them action figures) for me and my sister.

2. Hans Solo - maybe my first crush.

3. Yoda- they had a couple of Yoda dolls too.

4. C-3PO- I liked how this doll came apart in pieces that fit in someone's packback. As a character he was funny comic relief.

Special K said...

1. Leah, natch. I still think it might be cool to wear my hair like that.
2. Hans Olo. I refuse to call him anything else. As you can see, I'm not the only one who thinks his first name is Hans.
3. Obi-One. Help me, Obi-One Kenobe, you're my only hope.
4. uh
5. dontcarethatmuch

Lyman said...

Hans! HAAAAA!! STOP, MY SIDE HURTS!!!!!

Drew said...

Sorry Lyman. I'm going to have to blame my brain fart typing to the fact that I should have been working when I wrote it.

4. Han Solo

kbmulder said...

C - were those three boys the Howes?

1. Princess Leia - I wanted a swimsuit like hers.
2. Luke Skywalker - he was my first crush (besides Elliott on ET)
3. Queen Amidala - awesome costumes (and that's really what counts, right?)
4.Obi Wan Kanobi - a nice father figure
5. Jaba the Hut - We had a Jaba doll with the stand, opium pipe (a toy!) and everything. He was plastic, but I always wondered what he would feel like in real life (slimy!!)

Jason said...

1) Yoda - Deep this character is.
2) Boba Fett - Mostest awesomest bounty hunter in all galaxies.
3) Darth Vader - The embodiment of power and evil.
4) Han Solo - Who doesn't love a scruffy looking nerf-herder.
5) Tauntauns - Without the warm innards, Luke would have died out there!

kbmulder said...

Ew! The part where they cut that Tauntaun open was the grossest thing in the movie. I can still remember the sound of it! Ha!

Anonymous said...

1. R2D2
2. Chewbacca
3. Vader
4. Solo
5. Leia

Anonymous said...

My favorite characters, like Kathy, are the ones Lyman played (for years, he has everything). No order.

1. Me as Mommy the Hut when I layed on the couch and he kept killing me when he was Luke.

2. Darth Vader-he was Darth for 4 years at Halloween.

3. Chewbacca-We were in Hooks and he was Chewbacca and he got away from me and I was calling him and he wouldn't answer until I realized I was calling him Lyman instead of Chewie. When I called him Chewie he gave me the Chewie sound so I could find him.

4. Luke and Vader doing the dueling light sabers with Lym playing both parts.

5. Lyman in his underoos of, Luke, Boba Fett or Yoda etc. (he had all the super heros too) with his brown boots on playing all the parts. His imagination was the best.

Indiana Fan said...

1. Han Solo
Outlaw, survivor, not afraid to take a shot at Darth Vader. Hells yeah.
2. Leia
Tough grrl that turns her yoke into a noose. And hot.
3. Obi-Wan (Ewan MacGregor)
Survivor, Darth killer, teacher. Best of the Jedi.
4. Wedge Antilles
Wedge survives, helps take down 2 Death stars!
5. Boba Fett
This pretty much sums it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HsLdCbmTo
(blue language warning)

KHM said...

Lym, after reading your Mom's post, is there any doubt in your mind about how adorable you were and how you swept us all away???

Mommy the Hut. That's [expletive} fabulous.