Saturday, June 2, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

Our first genre-crossing Top Five can include movies, TV shows, books, whatever. We all know that there is a lot of crap permeating pop culture. Britney Spears, The Bachelor, Cosmo Magazine, there is enough garbage out there to fill all of the landfills in Jersey. And the fact is, we all have a little bit we love. What guilty pleasures do you have when it comes to pop culture?

My list:

1. Made-This reality show on MTV is one of my favs. I can watch marathons of it all day long. High school kids are transformed from shy geeks to prom queens, athletes, musicians, whatever. At one point every kid breaks down, cries and quits. But they always find a way to succeed in the end. So inspiring.

2. Poker TV Shows-Contrary to what they might tell you, you won't learn a whole lot about how to be a successful poker play from watching it on TV. Regardless, I can watch the same World Series of Poker episodes over and over again.

3. Kelly Clarkson-A jazz bass player digging a pop star from American Idol? You bet. That girl rocks.

4. Shopping Malls-As much as I hate corporate fashion stores and chain restaurants there's nothing like a good mall to help you get stuff done in a short amount of time. And with a baby? fuggetaboutit

5. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy-This Will Farell movie is about as dumb as it gets but I love it. I have so many lines memorized but hardly anyone gets it when I say one.

What's your Top Five?

9 comments:

KHM said...

1. People magazine -- god, you're going to be able to extort us after this, won't you? Not so much the starlet stuff as their dresses. I've recently given it up because it was displacing most of my "real" reading.

2. Gadget du jour -- I can't stand for someone to have a cooler gadget than I do. Show me something new and cool and I'll own it in short order--or something even better.

3. ghetto slang -- you've got to admit that some of those euphemisms are too funny. I always remind Rob that he's just my babydaddy.

4. you probably already know this: Blake Lewis from this year's American Idol. Sigh. Hot AND talented....

5. Overpriced department store cosmetics. Can't help it. Love it. And mostly they're probably not much different than the lower end stuff but they're just sooo....desirable! And I LOVE my Smashbox makeup brushes...all of them...there are many...

Carrie said...

1. The Honorable Judge Marylin Millian of The People's Court-Not only are these personal dramas engrossing but I have also learned a great deal about sump pumps and tree trimming.

2. American Idol-Even though the best singer never wins (I was rooting for you Melinda) it was a great way to pass four hours a week.

3. Live From the Red Carpet of any awards show-Designer gowns, what can I say?

4. Project Runway-Tim Gunn when are you coming back to me?

5. Meg Ryan romantic comedies-They make me feel good, that's what its all about.

kbmulder said...

1. Little House on the Prairie - a little bit of sugary sweet wholesome TV never did anybody any harm.

2. In Touch Magazine - the pictures of the stars are great, the stories are mostly untrue, but the price is right $1.99/issue

3. Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte - it's full of sugar, caffeine, and fat (whipped cream) but it sure does make me feel like I'm on top of the world.

4. Real World Denver - so many hook-ups, so much drama!

5. Sell & Swap Shop (WCBK 102.3 FM) - the daily radio show where Martinsville folks call in to sell/trade their goats, chevy vans, VHS tapes, and window unit ac's. It's priceless! Lyman - if you haven't heard it yet, you might tune in when here. You will love it!

kbmulder said...

Maybe we could do a Milo top five in honor of his Indiana debut? Favorite things about Milo!!!

Lyman said...

That would make me feel like an annoying overly proud parent.

Anonymous said...

I have numerous guitly pleasures but here are 5.

1. Dog the Bounty Hunter - Love Leland.
2. Gene Simmons - In real life just a goofy dad.
3. Little People Big World - I love that little dwarf family
4. Cris Angel Mind Freak- Love him
5. Watching AM Style on QVC and never buying anything as I have no style

Mom

Anonymous said...

Can you put the icon on your blog when you change topics? I missed a couple. LYFE Mom

kbmulder said...

Oh, I forgot about Little People Big World. That is one of my favorites, too! I have gotten hooked watching marathons. I think it's good that people can see that they are just like any other family.

Did a new season come out?

Anonymous said...

1. America's Next Top Model- I can't help it. I watch all the new episodes PLUS all those marathons they run on MTV and VH1.

2. Jezebel.com- way entertaining. I should cut back because it interferes way too much with the stuff I really SHOULD be doing.

3. The Hills- I am truly ashamed of this one. Vapid, rich, dramatic rich girls...gotta have some sort of excitement in my life.

4. Wendy's- I've been a fiend for Wendy's lately. That or McDonald's french fries! Mmm, greasy goodness.

5. skipping class.